Friday, June 26, 2009

Introducing...

My search for a Newfoundland has been almost two years in the making. I owned one years ago and was smitten by his loveable temperament. We called him “Bear” from Big Bear Kennels, and he was truly a gentle Giant. Now that I’m retired I have decided to get another one.

Knowing that Newfs, as they are sometimes called, can have real health issues I wanted to make sure I got a puppy from a good healthy line where temperament and health were as important as confirmation (the way a dog lines up to its physical standard).

Margaret and I went to a Newf specialty show in Franklin, Wisconsin, and I was hooked! I was immediately attracted to a big ole loveable male I saw in the ring who not only won his class but went winners dog for a five point major. Margaret and I met the dog’s owner, Julie Siefert, and discovered this handsome male was from Whisperbay Kennels. We visited their home and saw a house full of Giants who were very friendly and well mannered… and all expecting treats—that’s normal for Newfs!

Well that seemed simple enough except they didn’t have any puppies and there was nothing on the horizon for a while. In the meantime we went to the Newf specialties in Warwick, Rhode Island, and Frankenmuth, Michigan. Both shows had over 500 Newfoundlands entered from around the world and the shows lasted all week. We found “Newf people” to be very friendly and caring about placing their dogs in good homes.

Waiting a while turned out to be 2 years but finally a litter of Whisperbay pups have been born and I’m told we’re first on the list for a show female. This is the first picture sent to me of one of the biggest girls in the litter at 5 weeks. It’s hard to believe that she’ll triple in size in the next 5 weeks.

I'll keep you posted on our Newf journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment